Monday, April 14, 2008

Let the Withdrawals Begin

For the past year Little Mr. Eris and I have been reading the Harry Potter series. We took turns reading out loud with the Little Mr. starting and ending each book. It was so fun to watch him fill in the blanks or realize the plot points that the movies leave out. Then we started "The Half-blood Prince" - he had never seen the movie and so had no idea where the story was going. He was on the edge of his seat.

A month ago we procured three copies of "The Deathly Hallows" and the Numismatist read with us. She read on her own most of the time, but about once a week we got together to read. It was so fun! Today we finished the book, and consequently the series. (I loved this book the first time I read it - in 36 hours - and love it even more now!)

Anyway, the Little Mr. is now pouting all around the house saying things like, "I wish there were 19 books" and "Now, what are we going to do?" Oh. My. Gosh. He is so cute and sad. He seems to be worried that we won't be spending any time together now that I don't have the Weasley twins as a draw.

I have assured him that we will read more. We are starting "Call of the Wild" next, and then will move on to "Chronicles of Narnia." Suggestions for the book list are welcome!

Sidenote: His Accelerated Reading goal at school is 442%. He has decided to hold the book 7 test for his next goal.

2 comments:

Muriel said...

Anything by Gary Paulsen, I think he would like Hatchet. There's a few different sequels to it: The River and Brian's Winter. There's also a couple other's in the series.

The Numismatist said...

Reading HP7 with both of you was so much fun! An added bonus was that I had to keep up and not take months to finish it!

I'll have to think about C of N but I do think Call of the Wild might be a good choice for the next one.

Way to go, Mr. Eris, Jr! Your reading is awesome!