Monday, October 23, 2006

Barak Saves Eris

Sometime in the year 2004 I made a bet. Now, those of you who know me well know that this is highly uncharacteristic. I once spent all my "gambling" money on a pair of shoes at the Neiman Marcus mall in Vegas. So, you must know how passionate I feel about the following story.

My brother and I have a special bond. While sharing very liberal opinions, we like to argue about the minor details on which we disagree. Once at a family dinner we got into a yelling fight over the Legacy Highway. He called me a "tree-hugging, tse-tse fly loving environmentalist" so I called him a Republican. My dad stopped us immediately and said, "We don't call each other names like that at the dinner table."

Anyway, sometime in the year 2004 we were discussing politics and how the Democrats could screw up any election. Both us were arguing the same point: Democrats are right, but dumb. He predicted that Hilary Rodham Clinton would be the Democratic nominee for President in 2008. I said, "We're not that dumb." We argued for a moment and then shook hands on a $100 bet: I say Hilary is not the nominee in 2008. He says she is.

- I am a HUGE Hilary fan. Oh, that I were to live in an alternate universe where she were recognized as a brilliant woman who worked to save her marriage... But no, I live in the universe where she is seen as an intrusive, over-bearing bitch who only stayed married because it was good political strategy. -

It pains me to say this, but I believe nominating Hilary would be a mistake of astronomical proportion. People just don't like her, and she cannot win. Not even the Democrats are this dumb.

My brother reminds me of this bet constantly - anytime some BS poll comes out or TIME or Newsweek does a cover story on her likely bid he calls me. I was pretty sure Warner of Virginia was going to run and save me - but then the chicken backs out. Now though, it looks like my favorite skinny nerd is going to be my knight in shining armor. Barak, you have my support. I like the idea of an Obama/Clinton ticket - the bet says nothing about a VP run.

No comments: