Sunday, March 22, 2009

Our Victory Garden

Those of you who remember the first few years we spent in our adorable little fixer-upper will likely recall that the yard and garden areas were, well, abysmal. They were overrun with morning glory and we had dead trees all over the back yard. We have worked very hard on these little spots and while there is still much work to be done, I am happy to report that this year, after four years of progressively increasing success with flowers, veggies and fruits, we have accomplished what I once believed to be the impossible: Realistic planting plans for every square inch of dirt.


And we are just in time! Apparently, gardening is all the rage this year - with the gigantic turd we call an economy, everyone is trying to save a couple of pennies. I was uber-excited when I saw this in the news. I don't look nearly as stylish or put together when I garden as Mrs. Obama does, but I admire her boots.


Back to us. This year we are trying to do everything from seeds, with a full-on start garden in the kitchen. Bask in its glory:


If you're curious, that's 82 cells, each with two seeds germinating. The list includes 3 varieties of tomato, cucumber, squash, onions, radishes, pumpkin, watermelon, cantaloupe, peas, beans, carrots, and corn (for later). We are enjoying watching new seedlings pop up and grow. Mr. Eris and I are fighting each other to be the first to spot each new one as it appears, which means we have to check hourly.

Yay for gardens!

1 comment:

Just Casi said...

Kylee is growing a bean plant.
I think that's the same.