Saturday, June 28, 2008

Who's Laughing Now?

Ok, this is a judgemental post full of my own self-congratulations, so consider yourself warned. Many of you may know I used to teach Gospel Doctrine class at my LDS ward. This was fun for me as I: 1. don't know the first thing about technical gospel doctrine; and B. enjoyed making up my own doctrine. Take your pick on which one got me released. Personally, I think it was the fact that I didn't let the bishop attend my class.

The last week of the year I did a Bible trivia game based on the stories and lessons we had had through the previous year. I used scripture references to back up my questions, and some of them had come to my attention through non-LDS websites. I DID NOT QUOTE ANY NON-LDS SCRIPTURE OR REFERENCE IN MY CLASS.

After this game, a member of the Sunday School Presidency (a freshly minted return missionary about 22 years-old) came up to me and lectured me on using non-church authorized lessons or sources. Let me point out this was an extra week for which there was no lesson in the manual! I took it in stride then spent the next few weeks trying to make his head explode when I blinked at church.

Cut to tonight: Scout dinner at the church. This young man attended with a woman I assume is his girlfriend. She brought a card game to play at the table. By herself. The cards all had heads on them. The game was called "Guillotine" and had a little guillotine to put on the table.

Mr. Eris got a real kick out of it. I was non-plussed until the game turned up missing and they had to announce over the microphone that they had misplaced a card game called "Guillotine" sometime during the dinner. I'm still giggling.

3 comments:

Numismatist Facts said...

Apparently face cards are not okay, but decapitated face cards meet church standards. I'm calling my uncle to check this one out. Maybe a new game called Hand, Foot and Head?

Casidub said...

It's nice that she came for support.
What the eph?!

C&K Finley said...

That is awesome! Seriously, you didn't say anything to that young buck about the "appropriateness" of the game? Either way, the game sounds like fun, where can I pick one up?