Thursday, March 01, 2007

Better than W.

Well, the final decision is in. I have been weighed and measured, and have been sent the following:

I am sorry to inform you that our admissions committee decided against offering you admission into our program.... This means that some applicants were not admitted because they were competing against others who had similar interests and offered an equally strong, if not stronger, fit with our department.
See ya, wouldn't want to be ya,
the University of Washington.

and...
Your academic background and interests appear to be a good match with the research interests and strengths of our facutly, and we look forward to welcoming you as a member of our department community.
Hugs and kisses,
the University of Utah.


So, Utahns love me. Washingtonians, not so much. I read each letter with a mixture of apprehension and relief. It's good to know that I got in somewhere, and it's great to know I don't have to move or pay for babysitting while I try to do this ~wink~.

In the final analysis, though, all that matters is that my approval rating is 50%. That is 13 points better than the President of the United States at last count.

PS - I promised my mom I wouldn't tell her about this while she was in Hawaii. So, shhhhhhhhh. Let's see if she's been checking up on me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,
Mrs. Fry Sauce will secretly be happy (of course, if I broadcast it over the WWW is it really a secret?) Who knows, maybe it was supposed to work out this way. I wouldn't worry about it too much, other than having to deal with the 'Y' kicking some Runnin' Ute butt for a while (sad that the smack talk comes from a soon-to-be Purple grad, isn't it?)

Muriel said...

You know I only want the best for you, but to be completely honest, I'm a little relieved. The whole Washington thing was going to seriously injure our caravanning trip to Santa Maria next summer (do we dare do Disneyland again??). And at least the U likes you, remember they said "thanks but no thanks" to Mr. Meemo.

Anonymous said...

reasons to cry:

1. sorrow that you didn't get what you were hoping for
2. happiness that you aren't leaving
3. pride that you were accepted by the University of Utah
4. happiness that uncertainty is over
5. worry about what that "wink" meant
6. worry about what that "wink" meant
7. worry about what that "wink" meant
8. worry about what that "wink" meant
9. worry about what that "wink" meant
10. etc.
11. etc.
12. etc.

Eris said...

Thanks for all the cyber-love. I'm feeling it.

Not to get all spiritual and stuff, but last night I opened my scriptures looking for some comfort and enlightenment. Turned right to Alma 37:37 - "Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good."

PS - Numismatist, you know EXACTLY what the "wink" meant.

Muriel said...

That is my most favorite scripture!! It's helped my numerous times!