Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Thank you, Betty Friedan

I'm sitting at my house, teaching Little Mr. Eris how to use his new email account and signing him up on Club Penguin (basically, a my space/chatroom for tweens that is heavily moderated). While doing this Little Miss Eris is constantly asking for a chance to type her name... so here you go:
alli

Anyway, while Little Mr. Eris was playing we had the radio on and the Beastie Boys song "Girls" came on. This is Little Miss Eris's favorite song. She twirls around the house singing along, only she changes all the "girls!" to "boys!" which makes me laugh on the outside and fills me with glee on the inside.

Is it possible that Little Miss Eris has learned from the past year that men and women have equal roles? Can I begin to hope that the little girl who once wore so much pink that it looked like a Disney princess actually threw up on her is turning into a little feminist? Has society come along far enough that my daughters will not be looked cross-eyed at when they announce that they are going to work while their husband stays home?

Or am I reading too much into this?

UPDATE: I decided to ask Little Miss Eris why she sings "boys!" during the song and she said the following:
"Because it says 'to do the dishes and laundry' and that's what my daddy does."

Score one for the glassy-eyed Clintonistas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG I love that girl!!!

That's what my boy does!