Friday, August 04, 2006

Quit Touching My Stuff


August 5 is Sisters Day. I am lucky enough to have 4 sisters of many varieties, shapes and sizes.

I have 2 step-sisters who live far, far away: Michigan and Texas. We don't get to see each other much, but they are wonderful women whom I very much look up to.

I have a younger sister, Courtney. She is 17 and quite the spitfire. As you know, when you are 17 your life is busy and full of friends, work and lots of other stuff. When faced with the choice between friends and your 30-year-old sister, friends almost always win. So I don't get to see her as much as I'd like.

Finally, I have an older sister. Only 3 years apart, we grew up together. Jennifer and I are complete opposites. One tall and blonde; the other not tall and not blonde. One looks just like the mother; the other just like the biological father. Personalities? Well, let's just say that we are more different in this respect than we are in appearance.

The important thing is that Jennifer and I have grown close. Yes, we beat each other up for about 18 years. We are polar in every sense of the word. But we are sisters and that is something.

So today, in honor of the women I am proud to call "Sister" I leave this message:
Thanks for keeping me honest, and for keeping me laughing. And quit touching me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just experienced my first blog! The first two articles went in one ear and out the other with not much sticking in the middle! Maybe in time I will understad all that Blah, Blah, Blah stuff you mentioned. Well written, but totally foreign to me!

The whole sister thing I can totally grasp! It's hard to answer that question "So, how many brothers and sisters do you have?" when you are Deb or me. I think you summed it up well and paid a great tribute to each one of us.

Happy Sis's Day Sis!